RE: Onames and various connections scenarios

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 10:54:28 -0800

My names servers and clients are both 8.1.7.

Could be a problem between versions.

I'm not sure why support thinks a client is any different than a server.

I have 3 names servers. By logging on to the the oracle account on one of the servers, I use namesctl for admin work on all 3.

In this case, the server I'm logged onto is a client. Not any different than running namesctl from my laptop.

Try it with a 9i client.

Jared

"Bob Metelsky" <bmetelsky_at_cps92.com>
Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
 09/03/2003 07:29 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Onames and various connections scenarios

Jared,

    Ive read the documentation http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/network.817/a76933/controlu.htm#442071

But I dont see where it says this is a method to get a tnsnames on the *clients* workstation, It works on the server but creates a 0 byte file on the client workstation

I have a 9i names server, 8.17 on the client and win2k. I also dont see how set server fits in as namesctl on the client reveals the name server correctly
my 817 is patched to level 4 although the banner for namesctl does not show it
EG

####################################

C:\>namesctl dump_tnsnames
Oracle Names Control for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on 03-SEP-2003 09:16:16
(c) Copyright 1997 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
Currently managing name server "NS_CPSDB2" Version banner is "Oracle Names for 32-bit Windows: Version 9.2.0.1.0 - Production"
####################################

Are you saying you have the same setup and it works for you? Here is my sqlnet.ora
NAMES.INITIAL_RETRY_TIMEOUT = 2
NAMES.REQUEST_RETRIES = 1
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (ONAMES,TNSNAMES, HOSTNAME)

NAMES.PREFERRED_SERVERS =
  (ADDRESS_LIST =
 (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = CPSDB2)(PORT = 1575))         (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = CPS012)(PORT = 1575))   )

SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME = 10
SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

Of course I can have a logon script grap the file, but I prefer this method as its much more elegant

.. and indeed I saw it on the list last Friday.

Sure it's supposed to work that way. It is a documented feature.

Otherwise there would be little point in having a 'set server' command.

Jared

"Bob Metelsky" <bmetelsky_at_cps92.com>
Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
 09/02/2003 03:19 PM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:        Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:

This is a mesage that I sent on Friday, and to my knowledeg did not show up, (+ there were no responses) Im assuming if I can post... That I am in fact subscribed ;-)

Hopefully this make it

Thanks!
bob

Ok, so it was too good to be true....

the suggestion to run

namesctl dump_tnsnames

on the client and expecting a fresh copy of tnsnames to be installed (on the clients machine) is NOT supported.

I searched on metalink, alot of people have the same problem " a 0 byte tnsnames file being created using namesctl"

Alot of OLD bugs that were never fixed, so I submitted an iTAR, and the rep tried his best to convince me that this is NOT how the namesctl is designed to work.

Does anyone know with certinty that this could be the methood to get a fresh tnsnames file on the client from the onames server in the event you do not want individual users to maintain their own tnsnames file? The workaround wast to have the logon server pull and distribute the tns from the onames server....
And the money we pay oracle....!

any ideas

thanks!
bob

Hello Jared

   I did not know that the client could call the "default" name server... from sqlnet.ora... pretty cool. However, there now seems to be some bugs (no..)....

It seems the namesctl ignores the arg to use a user defined path eg a file does *not* gets created in C:\temp BUT.... an *empty* tnsnames files does get created in the %oracle_home%\network\admin
PROVIDING there is *not* an existing tnsnames there, if there is, namesctl simply creates a copy of the *existing* tnsnames with a .sav extension
!
Ive tested this on my machine running 8.1.7.4 all our client/user pcs here are 8.17 0r 8.16

Im running w2k pro on all our client machines

maybe I discoverd a bug in Oracle! <g>

thanks!
bob

examples

namesctl dump_tnsnames c:\temp\tnsnames.txt creates the above scenario

the output

C:\>namesctl dump_tnsnames c:\temp\tnsnames.txt

Oracle Names Control for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on 27-AUG-2003 11:31:39

(c) Copyright 1997 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Currently managing name server "NS_CPSDB2" Version banner is "Oracle Names for 32-bit Windows: Version 9.2.0.1.0 - Production"

No need to do it quite the way you are attempting.

c:> namesctl dump_tnsnames c:\temp\tnsnames.txt

worked fine for me. The default server is ns_ns1

Had I wanted to do this from another server, say ns2, I would have gone directly into namesctl, then issued the command 'set server ns_ns2'

Jared

 "Bob Metelsky" <bmetelsky_at_cps92.com>
Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
08/26/2003 03:04 PM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

       To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

       cc:

No doubt im in the wrong ball field here but this is what I have

Windows 2k
Server1 Ns1 on 8.1.7.4
Server2 Ns2 on 9.2.0.1.0

[server1]
C:\> start \\server1\bin\namesctl dump_tnsnames C:\mytnsnames.txt It creates an empty file on my (remote) machine

>From the server C:\> namesctl dump_tnsnames C:\mytnsnames.txt it creats an empty C:\mytnsnames.txt

[server2]
C:\> start \\server2\bin\namesctl dump_tnsnames C:\mytnsnames.txt And it creates an empty file on my (remote) machine

>From the server itself it creats a full C:\mytnsnames.txt file with all the connect discriptors

How is this supposed to be called?

Thanks!

Author: Bob Metelsky
INET: bmetelsky_at_cps92.com

also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L