Priority paging and Solaris 8

From: Jos <jos1992831_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 06:24:26 -0800

List,
This is not entirely an Oracle question, more related to Solaris 8. We had some reports which run for 5 to 10 minutes and the unix process gone to sleep for an hour before it woke up and finished. The Oracle session showed that they are waiting for SQL message from client. During the same period, there were a lot of paging activity happening on the swap disk and the Oracle database itself is not doing much. I remember in Solaris 2.6, we have to set priority_paging to 1 in /etc/system to improve paging performance, so Solaris won't page out application executable. However, this is Solaris 8, I just checked the documentation, we are not suppose to set priority_paging. I am a bit confuse, I am seeing the symptom of application code being paged out but this problem seem to be fixed in Solaris 8. Is anyone had any experience with paging performance on Solaris 8?
Jos

http://search.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Search - Looking for more? Try the new Yahoo! Search

Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Jos?=
  INET: jos1992831_at_yahoo.com.au

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Sep 03 2003 - 09:24:26 CDT