Re: How to keep "root" out?

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 02:04:33 -0800

Hi!

> I have an idea
>
> 1. Use let say My_Tursted_SA schema, write a trigger that will disconnect
new login as SYS or SYSTEM

How exactly are you planning to disconnect the login? You can't kill your own session, there's no disconnect or exit command in pl/sql. Only way I know is to generate an unhandled exception which doesn't allow to log on (or use an external library to kill your own server process from OS level, but this gets unnecessarily complicated).

> 2. If you want to use sys or system, you login as My_Trusted_SA disable
the trigger.

Sys & system do have the administer database trigger privilege, thus they can log on even if the logon trigger fires an unhandled exception.

Cheers,
Tanel.

> What do you think?
>

> Sinardy

Connect
> > as internal goes away.
> >
> > Other than that, I think the best suggestion you got was a conversation,
and
> > granting access to the v$ tables thru a specific account for that
person.

> > And then put a long trigger in place tracking all connections to the
database.
> > Keep track of all SYS connections. At least you know when things
happen. And
> > periodically review the init.ora file for the database to make sure that
> > nobody changes anything.
> >
> > Good Luck!
> >
> > Tom Mercadante
> > Oracle Certified Professional

Then
> >> everyone has to use a password.
> >>
> >> Tanel.

Unix
> >> "root" user from logging into the database (i.e. connect internal or /
as
> >> sysdba)? Currently using 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 8 here.
> >>
> >> We have a couple people in our Unix admin group that feel the need to
"help"
> >> by writing their own DB monitoring scripts. Of course, they don't know
what
> >> they're talking about. They do not have formal logins for the database,
but
> >> since they are root users they are connecting via "connect internal".
This is

Author: Tanel Poder
  INET: tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee