RE: nfile parameter problem

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:57:40 -0700

Dennis,

I don't think there is an underlying _architectural_ problem (although there could be an OS bug that does not reuse File pointer slots, thus leading to an ever increasing slot usage). MTS would have reduced the _total_ number of open files across the OS by reducing the number of processes that opens files (since they are now shared). Monitoring 'sar -v' on a regular basis (or even writing some scripts that chop up the columns under the 'ov' columns and alert when this is > 0) is a good proactive idea.

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DB Soft Inc
Work : (408) 970 7002