Re: exchange partition in 9.2

From: Arup Nanda <orarup_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 20:50:12 -0700

Are you using UPDATE GLOBAL INDEXES clause in the ALTER TABLE EXCHANGE PARTITION? This causes significant IO.

Try tracing the session using 10046 trace and see exactly what statements are being issued.

ALTER SESSION SET EVENTS '10046 trace name context forever, level 8'; ALTER TABLE EXCHANGE ....
ALTER SESSION SET EVENTS '10046 trace name context off';

See the trace file generated in udump; this should tell you the p1 and p2 values of the "db file ... reads", which you use to get the segment information from dba_extents.

Another option, and much better one, is using Oracle Trace, which lets you see these p1 and p2 values in the database.

HTH. Arup

Author: Arup Nanda
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]