Re: TERM LICENSES - ANY Experience

From: Arup Nanda <orarup_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 18:40:40 -0800

Thanks for the explanation of the term licenses, Tim. I have to admit, I didn't know that there was such a thing called term license for Oracle. I had a blurb of an idea about software leases, but always thought the support costs were based on lease, not on perpetual license.

Arup

> This is my understanding of the situation for the US only; your mileage
may
> vary and I could be very much out of date. But I don't think things have
> changed a lot...
>
> ---
>
> The perpetual licenses are supposed to be a one-time payment for the
> software, after which you have rights to the software going forward into
> "perpetuity". Yes, forever is a long time; we'll see...
>
> The 4-year and 2-year "term" licenses are merely leases on the software
that
> expire. After the term is over, you no longer have a license. The 4-year
> term license usually costs 60% of the perpetual license and the 2-year
term
> license usually costs 35% of the perpetual license. The upsides of the
term
> licenses are obvious: less upfront cost. The downside should be equally
> obvious: you have to make another decision and potentially another
payment
> in 2 or 4 years. Oracle sales folks hate going through the decision
process
> again, so they try not to mention the term pricing if they can.
>
> The rationale for term licensing is either startup companies or other
> uncertain projects. Why pay for "perpetuity" when you are unsure that you
> are still going to be around in several years?
>
> Of course, there is some game theory involved. Oracle changes its
licensing
> schemes every once in a while, and market conditions can always shift. If
> you pay 35% now, you might have more favorable terms and conditions in two
> year's time. On the other hand, those shifts in conditions can also work
in
> Oracle's favor and against you, so you may end up missing an opportunity
> lock in now.
>
> You rolls the dice, you takes your chances...
>
> If you think you're going to use the software for only 2- or 4-years
total,
> then obviously the term licensing is a good deal overall. However, let's
> say you use the software for 6 years overall (after which you switch to
> freeware PostGreSQL, which by now has features comparable to Oracle15z).
If

Author: Arup Nanda
  INET: orarup_at_hotmail.com