RE: Online index creation on 9.2

From: Stephen Lee <Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 08:05:27 -0800

Good old corporate politics here. So some of this is just fishing to see to if anyone knows of anything that has changed from 8.1.7.4 to 9.2.0.3 with online index creation ... OR ... has there been a change made in the application (unbeknownst to us) that will crash into an online index creation. We're pretty sure the app doesn't try to do anything like grab a table lock ( ... we think ...), but it will certainly try to grab some "reasonable" ( ... we think ... ) row locks. There was no particular wait that was obvious during all the hullabaloo.

When this kind of thing is going on, you try to consult your Ouija board, examine the tea leaves, and shake the Magic 8 Ball in an attempt to get some gut feeling about what is going on without knowing exactly what the application is trying to do. The gut feeling I got was that whatever the app was doing to grab some rows was failing -- not just running slow or waiting, but failing. So either the app would loop around and try it again, or the app users were just banging away on some kind of retry button compounding the problem, and all of this grew into a big nasty snotball until the index creation was either killed, or got past its info gathering stage, after which things started working again.

So there is some effort here to determine if there has been some change in the way 9.2.0.3 does online index creation, or can we say absolutely, positively it's exactly like 8.1.7.4; thus the problem must be a collision between the app and the index build; and it always would have been a collision both now and in the past. That way, we can focus on what the collision is and see if we can deal with it.

Author: Stephen Lee
  INET: Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com