Interesting Perspective on DBAs

From: Daniel W. Fink <optimaldba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 06:11:38 -0800

A group of high school students enrolled in the Oracle Internet Academy attended RMOUG's Training Days conference. As part of their assignment, they had to write an essay about what they gained from the trip, parts of which were published in SQL> UPDATE_RMOUG, our local magazine. The essays were all very interesting (most were amazed that they knew stuff we adults were just learning about), but the best quote comes from Patrick, a senior.
"I also came to appreciate the real lives of database administrators, programmers, and developers in a couple of great sessions. First, we went to "How NOT to Be a DBA: Top 20 Critical Mistakes" [by Rachel Carmichael] and heard some interesting war stories. Then, we went to the hilarous "Heroes and Zeroes:Thirty Years of Database Disasters." [by Dave Ensor] They both made me wonder: is a DBA's worst enemy him- or herself, or his or her peers?"

Out of the mouths of babes...

--

Daniel W. Fink
http://www.optimaldba.com

Author: Daniel W. Fink
  INET: optimaldba_at_yahoo.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Sat May 24 2003 - 09:11:38 CDT