Re: Oracle 9.2.0.2 performance problem

From: Mark Richard <mrichard_at_transurban.com.au>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 13:59:30 -0800

Hemant raises a valid point...

You could just do a "select blah from dw.supuestos" in SQL*Plus (or some other client that retrieves all results without pausing) to get an idea of how much effort the group by is taking.

My other question relates to the CPU's. If I'm reading correctly the old server had 2 * 1.4GHz CPU's and the new server has 2 * 650MHz CPU's. I realise the CPU's most likely aren't the same architecture (sorry - I know nothing about HP's range of machines) but you aren't comparing apples to apples are you?

It sounds like you have changed Oracle version, CPU architecture, IO subsystem and OS all at the same time. There is a multitude of possibilities. Have you compared the init.ora files (Hemant's SORT_AREA_SIZE recommendation is a good one).

                    Hemant K
                    Chitale               To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    <hkchital_at_singn       cc:
                    et.com.sg>            Subject:     Re: Oracle 9.2.0.2 performance problem
                    Sent by:
                    root_at_fatcity.co

                    22/01/2003
                    00:49
                    Please respond
                    to ORACLE-L

Wonder if it is the SORT (for the GroupBy) taking time ? What is the SORT_AREA_SIZE and what are the INITIAL and NEXT extents of the user's temporary tablespace ? Are the tablespaces Locally-Managed and the temporary tablespace a TEMPORARY TABLESPACE with a TEMPFILE ?

Hemant

At 01:59 AM 20-01-03 -0800, you wrote:

     Hello

     We have an serious performance problem on a DSS db.
     We buy a new HP rp5405 (2x650Mhz, 4GB, ...) with HP UX 11.11

     Oracle 9.2.0.2 tooks 30 min doing this query where an  Intel 2x1,4 Ghz
     tooks 9 min only.

     We have in the HP losts of buffers(1,5GB), sga(200MB), pga(500MB),
     fast i/O (EMC Clariom CX600)...
     We try lost of parameters, but time is always the same.

     Is there some bug in this release - platform ?????
     How can I get more data about this problem??

     Thanks.

     SELECT grupo,evpamb,evpdel,evpfor,evppr2,evppr3,evppr4,
            evpanc,evpgru,evpcli,evppai,evppro,evpume,
            to_date(evpano||'-'||evpmes||'-'||'01','YYYY-MM-DD') FECHA,
            sum(evppca) PPTO
     FROM DW.SUPUESTOS
     GROUP BY grupo,evpamb,evpdel,evpfor,evppr2,evppr3,evppr4,
            evpanc,evpgru,evpcli,evppai,evppro,evpume,
            evpano, evpmes

     call     count       cpu    elapsed       disk      query    current
     rows
     ------- ------  -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
     ----------
     Parse        1      0.01       0.00          0          0          0
     0
     Execute      1      0.00       0.00          0          0          0
     0
     Fetch   445920   1748.65    1708.72       1554       1675         23
     445919
     ------- ------  -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
     ----------
     total   445922   1748.66    1708.72       1554       1675         23
     445919

     Misses in library cache during parse: 1
     Optimizer goal: CHOOSE
     Parsing user id: 90     (recursive depth: 1)

     Execution Plan
        0      SELECT STATEMENT Optimizer=CHOOSE (Cost=4481 Card=464215 Byt
               es=32495050)

        1    0   SORT (GROUP BY) (Cost=4481 Card=464215 Bytes=32495050)
        2    1     TABLE ACCESS (FULL) OF 'SUPUESTOS' (Cost=162 Card=464215
                Bytes=32495050)

     Statistics
               0  recursive calls
              31  db block gets
            1675  consistent gets
            1577  physical reads
               0  redo size
         9012743  bytes sent via SQL*Net to client
          208363  bytes received via SQL*Net from client
           29729  SQL*Net roundtrips to/from client
               0  sorts (memory)
               1  sorts (disk)
          445919  rows processed

Hemant K Chitale
My web site page is : http://hkchital.tripod.com

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

   Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.

          If you are not the addressee indicated in this message
       (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person),
            you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender
           by reply e-mail or by telephone on (61 3) 9612-6999.
   Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to
                Internet e-mail for messages of this kind.
        Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message
              that do not relate to the official business of
                         Transurban City Link Ltd
         shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

Author: Mark Richard
  INET: mrichard_at_transurban.com.au