RE: Pinned packages with multiple reloads

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 10:51:34 -0800

Thanks, Waleed. That's the article I remember seeing months ago when I last posed the question. The article seems to point toward my situation, but there are a few confusing items about the article.

First, it says for possible solutions:

  1. Compile the package body only before pinning the package.
  2. Make sure all the SYS objects are valid before pinning any packages.

Could SYS objects be invalidated at startup? As I mentioned, I check for invalid objects every five minutes and no SYS objects show up (the one exception possibly when I have installed Quest products like QCO in the past).

Also, the Metalink article states:

	There are a couple of reasons why reloads can occur:
	A. Objects have to be flushed out.
	   Your shared_pool_size and shared_pool_reserved_size are tuned.
	   It is not likely that the packages are aged out.
	B. The pinned object is invalidated.
	   The DBMS packages were reloaded as the dependent sys objects
	   became invalid.

Reason "A" sounds to me more like why reloads DON'T occur. Can pinned objects be flushed? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of pinning?

OK, after some more research (man, stuff can be hard to find on Metalink!), I've found article 175659.1 that states that package header reloads may be BUG 1164709. <sigh> I can't win.

Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com              Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com