RE: career questions

From: Orr, Steve <sorr_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 08:53:27 -0800

Hi Maria,

Having bounced back and forth between consulting and being an employee I'd go for it. Whether you should go for it or whether you will enjoy the "consultant" role is a matter of personal preference. One way to find out is to just jump in but it also depends on the details of your first contract gig. I wouldn't worry about feelings of inadequacy- you have valued knowledge skills to offer and that's how you should present yourself. It's up to your customers to judge what you have to offer and most of that evaluation process doesn't happen until well after you've started. If you're an employee they have to worry about how to get rid of you but as a contractor they can drop you in a heartbeat which mitigates their risk. That's why lot's of companies are willing to pay more for a contractor vs. hiring another employee.

A lot of it also depends on your financial situation. If you are really dependent on regular income then there's more risk for you but if you can go a couple of months between gigs then there's a lot more freedom and you can be more discriminating on "assignments" instead of just settling for the first thing that comes along.

As far as soft skills I'd say the most important thing is conduct yourself with absolute honesty! Be honest even when it hurts. It's very refreshing to deal with a completely honest person and once you establish this reputation you will get boatloads of professional respect. After that the rest is just details.

If someone asks you a question that you're not sure about say something like, "Wow, that's a really good question and I'd like to give it the attention it deserves. I've touched on these issues before but let me give it some serious thought so how about we pick up this tomorrow?" Then go home, do your research, and make a few notes for talking points the next day.

You might want to go through an agency to start and after you get the hang of it consider jumping in all the way by incorporating and doing a lot of accounting/legal things to maximize income and minimize taxes. That's when it really starts to get fun. ;-)

Steve Orr
Bozeman, Montana

Author: Maria Aurora VT de la Vega
  INET: mtdelavega_at_pse.org.ph

Author: Orr, Steve
  INET: sorr_at_rightnow.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Dec 13 2002 - 10:53:27 CST