Re: Something that might be of use

From: <Dale_at_DataBee.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 23:28:37 -0800

Hi Stephen

> The program is functional but not necessarily
> elegant. Of course, no guarantees about anything are made. If you make
any
> improvements, I would be most appreciative if you sent them.

If you need this sort of thing you might consider having a look at the freeware DBATool. It is designed to do exactly what your program does - but it has GUI interface and a lot finer control over the manipulation of the DDL. You can independently change or remove every component of a tables storage clause independently and can even use wild cards. For example: all tables get 1M extents except for tables like XYZ% which get 100K extents except for tables XYZ1 and XYZ2 which get 10K extents. You can also put OR REPLACES automatically on packages procs etc, reset sequences to known starting values, and change the target of DB links. Its all driven by rules - so once you set it up you can save and reload the rules anytime you need them.

DBATool: http://www.DataBee.com/dt_home.htm

Regards
Dale
Dale_at_DataBee.com

> We often need to refresh test and development databases with exports that
> have extent sizing a lot bigger that what we want. In test and ESPECIALLY
> dev, space and file system availability often require us to just get
> something working without regard for performance. In these cases, extent
> sizing in the exports often prevents us from loading even a row-less
import
> into the test/dev database. The following C program was written to deal
> with those situations. I have used it enough that I think I can go ahead
> and toss it out to the world. The program is functional but not
necessarily
> elegant. Of course, no guarantees about anything are made. If you make
any
> improvements, I would be most appreciative if you sent them.

  INET: Dale_at_DataBee.com