RE: Single-task message waits

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 12:53:49 -0800

Hey Cary,

No magic bullet? I was afraid you were going to say that. :)

I see that there are some parsing issues from the first of many 10046 traces. Most of these high-parsing statements are generated by Oracle when a Context index is used in a query. The good news, if TKPROF output can be believed, is that the total time spent in all parses is 35 seconds out of 52 minutes elapsed, so I hadn't planned on spending any more time here.

As for the one-row-at-a-time manipulation part, well... Implicit cursors within cursors within cursors. We've removed a few where we could, but unfortunately a rewrite probably isn't going to happen for this project. We're still learning to be good SQL coders while dealing with crappy data layouts from the 80s.

Thanks for your input! And thanks for the 10046 paper on hotsos.com! :) Rich

Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com              Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com