RE: Shared Pool Size

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 05:38:43 -0800

Shuan - Bumping up the memory for shared pool and database buffers may well turn out to be the answer, but before you just jump in and make the changes and hope for the best, why not dig into the root causes of the slowness first? Specifically, collect information on the top wait events. I'm not familiar with Toad, but perhaps it can provide these. My personal favorite is STATSPACK, which comes with Oracle, but you'll have to install it. Or you can just directly query the V$ views. If the wait statistics confirm the need to increase these buffers, once you make the change you can measure these statistics again and confirm that you are making a positive improvement.

    Also, does your signature have some sort of foreign language font? When I opened your email I got an error message about that.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Dec 02 2002 - 07:38:43 CST