OT:conversation between EWeek and SQL Server Vice President Gordon Mangione

From: <Rick_Cale_at_teamhealth.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:34:42 -0400

The article is suppose to address upcoming release of Yukon and securit= y
issues facing MS. MS is obviously shifting focus from themselves to the rest of the database world.

Below is a snippet from http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,522729,00.= asp

                                                                       =

=20
=
=20
=
=20
=
=20
=
=20
=
=20
=

=20

 eWEEK: Oracle Corp. and others are pushing this idea of using Linux on=

=20

 Intel Corp. servers as a way to lower the cost of ownership in deploym= ent.=20

 Do you take that seriously?                                           =

=20
=
=20
=
=20
=

=20

 Mangione: We take Linux very, very seriously. Where Linux could be and=

=20

 where it is today are two very, very different things. It's kind of fu= nny:=20
 Linux is driving a wedge between Oracle and Sun [Microsystems Inc.] th= at I=20
 don't think ever would have happened. From my perspective, I always lo= oked=20
 at them as two sides of the same coin. I mean they would go in togethe= r, =20
 they would sell together, [and] they'd sell to scale up. In some ways =

=20

 Linux is probably hurting Sun more than it is hurting even Microsoft a= t =20

 this point or any of the vendors in that's space?                     =

=20
=
=20
=

=20

 Oracle, again, realizes it's in a bit of a quandary. The proprietary =

=20

 Unixes on the proprietary hardware, you can see that world is going to=

=20

 come to an end. It's going to go the same way as the Unix workstation =

=20

 business. So Oracle has to do something for [the PC server] platform. = They=20
 think Linux probably is the thing they want to do. Linux isn't really =

=20

 going to scale over 4-processors. Once you get into databases, scale-u= p =20
 and [deploy] big boxes, it really is databases that drive that busines= s. I=20
 don't know what they're intentions are to really take Linux up to 8-pr= oc =20
 or 16 proc. We're going to start seeing 32- and 64-proc PC servers com= ing =20
 out, and Linux just wasn't architected to scale on those platforms. =

=20

                                                                       =

=20
=