RE: Virtual drive on Solaris

From: Ferenc Mantfeld <fmantfeld_at_siebel.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 12:48:26 -0800

Hi Tim

Yes, I have tried the _disable_logging, does not work on all platforms. DB starts up fine, but redo log is generated, evidenced by log switching going on.

Also if I do a normal DML (large-ish one to verify), then dump the redo log, I see my transaction there, so for a 420R, running Solaris8 and Oracle 9.0.1, it would seem that _disable_logging does not work.

I don't want to complicate the picture even further with transportable tablespaces, which would mean that I would need to store all dependent objects (in this case indexes only) in the same tablespace, which I could easily achieve by rebuilding all indexes using a dynamic SQL.

Informatica BTW does not only do single level inserts, version 5.0 onwards has a 'bulk load' feature, but I am not sure what this actually does. Previously Sagent also had a 'direct load' switch, which meant that it wrote all of its data to large (very large) flat files and then used Sql*Loader direct path to load. Fast, but Sagent at the time was very unreliable, because on identical runs, it would sometimes load all the data, sometimes only a portion, and every time, would report no errors and everything hunky dory, until you went looking for your data. I remember that took me about a week of arguing to prove that Sagent was at fault.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Non volatile RAM (NVRAM) unit, it makes the most sense. I will suggest this to my damagers.

Regards:
Ferenc Mantfeld
Senior Performance Engineer
Siebel Performance Engineering
Melbourne, 3000, VIC, Australia
Only Robinson Crusoe had all his work done by Friday

Author: Ferenc Mantfeld
  INET: fmantfeld_at_siebel.com