RE: Legato oracle module.

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 09:37:10 -0800

Ron

        Yeah, technically you must perform an incremental level 0 before you can perform the other incremental backups. I think that is what you meant, but I think I saw somewhere that if you have done a complete backup but didn't run it as an incremental level 0, then RMAN won't let you do the other incremental backups.

        Keep in mind that RMAN only backs up used blocks, so your backup to disk will be smaller than your production database file sizes.

        The resource that helped me the most is the book "Oracle Backup & Recovery 101" by Smith and Haisley. He takes you step-by-step through creating some small practice databases and then executing the RMAN commands. About half the book is RMAN.
Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com