RE: Any Equivalent of SAR command in NT/2000

From: Michael P Sale <Michael.Sale_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 05:08:48 -0800

There is no direct equivalent of sar on windows via the command line, but there is a utility called perfmon that can log much more detail regarding CPU than sar can. From the logged output you can generate a tab separated file that you can bring into your favorite spreadsheet/word processor/database for analysis.

Start perfmon from a run prompt or command line (just perfmon) and expand the "Performance Logs and Alerts" node. Select the "Counter Logs" leaf and then right click on it. The right click menu has the option "New Log Settings". Select it and give it the name you wish (cpuusage might be appropriate). The next window that pops up will give you the various options for this log (you can change them later to suite your needs). If you want to go hog wild then click "Add Objects" and select the "Processor" object.

If you are concerned about the particulars of a process' cpu usage (e.g. Oracle.exe) then you will also want to select the "Thread" object. If you are looking at an Oracle process this is important as Oracle runs in one process (including user processes) as many threads.

Set the interval for the capture on the General tab below the counter selection. I think it defaults to 15 seconds.

The Schedule tab allows you to set the start and end times. You can stop and restart the log any time although this will increment the log number and start a new log file.

I would suggest that you leave the file type saved as binary because you can always save the binary format as a comma or tab delimited file, whereas you can use the binary file to view the data in the perfmon charts as well. However to fit strictly with your example you will need to go to the second tab and set the file type to comma or tab delimited. The advantage to this is that you can open the log file at any time (read only of course) and peruse the data.

Shameless plug: I go over this in my book as well as how to select the right counters for your situation.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Michael Sale
Author: Michael P Sale
  INET: Michael.Sale_at_oracle.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed May 29 2002 - 08:08:48 CDT