Re: changing db name

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 08:43:23 -0800

The SID name is the ORACLE_SID value
and point to the init<SID>.ora file.
You can, at any time, shutdown the database, change the value of ORACLE_SID, rename
the init<SID>.ora file to init<newSID>.ora and restart --- voila your SID name has changed ! [You would also need to update the listener.ora for the new SID name].
Changing the databse name requires the
CREATE CONTROLFILE SET DATABASE <newname> and the new name as the "db_name=" in the init<SID>.ora file.

Hemant K Chitale

Author: Hemant K Chitale
  INET: hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg