Re: Server upgrade NT4 -> W2K Oracle implications

From: Eric D. Pierce <eric_d_pierce_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 22:38:22 -0800

under the original scenario, presumably one would deinstall oracle before upgrading from NT4 to win2k, and then reinstall it after win2k is in place.

another possible alternative:

(first: backup backup backup)

variation on the test box theme:

add an additional hard drive to install win2k dual boot, reinstall oracle on the win2k partition as a test, and point it at the database (a test instance?) on the other drive and see if it works?

if you are anal about security (or what passes for security in the MS world), NT4 to Win2k upgrade is more difficult to "secure" .

doing a clean win2k install and exportin/importing your database is probable a good idea, but may not strictly be necessary. there is a vast amount of info on the net about NT4 upgrade to Win2k vs clean Win2K install. my impression is that to really exploit the more advanced capabilities of Wink, it is considered better to do a clean install.

regards,
ep

On 9 May 2002 at 16:53, Jared.Still_at_radisys.com wrote:

Date sent:      	Thu, 09 May 2002 16:53:52 -0800
To:             	Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

Author: Eric D. Pierce
  INET: eric_d_pierce_at_pacbell.net