Re: IOT - comment about high writes

From: Igor Neyman <ineyman_at_perceptron.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 06:42:01 -0800

I think, IOTs are fine with high writes (meaning 'inserts'), when new records inserted in sequential order (artificial PK, or PK of DATE type). I am using them successfully.
Otherwise, IOTs could be a performance problem with high 'updates' (if record length changes), or records inserted not in ASC/DESC order (random use of index's leaf blocks).

Igor Neyman, OCP DBA
ineyman_at_perceptron.com

Author: Igor Neyman
  INET: ineyman_at_perceptron.com