Need Suggestion for RMAN

From: C.S.Venkata Subramanian <csvenkata_at_lycos.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 23:04:08 -0700

Dear List,
I need some suggestions for RMAN. For a quite sometime I have seen numerous mails regarding RMAN.

We have 2 Production Databases located at different sites. We use RMAN to backup the databases. Daily incremental backups(Archivelogs, ControlFiles,parameter files, password file) Weekly Full backup(Datafiles,Archivelogs, ControlFiles,parameter files, password file). the backup are successfully tested in a development m/c and till date we didn't face any probs till date. But we are not using "Catalog Database" for storing the information. Instead we are using the target database's control file. We have also stimulated the recoveries based on the above.

I want to know whether it is "mandatory" or "advisble" to use RMAN with or without a catalog database.

Any views, suggestions are welcome.

TIA Venkat

Make a difference, help support the relief efforts in the U.S. http://clubs.lycos.com/live/events/september11.asp

Author: C.S.Venkata Subramanian
  INET: csvenkata_at_lycos.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Oct 22 2001 - 01:04:08 CDT