RE: perplexing plan?

From: Koivu, Lisa <lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 13:14:40 -0700

I agree with you Don that hints are not always warranted - yes, on a small dev system any execution plan is going to be out of whack anyway.

But avoiding them in general, I guess with performance problems hints have been the best quick fix, always.  Fresh stats, sometimes.  A missing index, sometimes.  A correct hint 70% of the time rendered a query that screamed.

Just my .02

Lisa Koivu
Oracle Database Administrator and Terrible Perl Programmer Fairfield Resorts, Inc.
954-935-4117

"The line ++@_[0] is a cute example of why nonprogrammers think Perl is obscure.  Try showing that line to your grandmother and explaining that you write stuff like that for a living."  -- Perl Black Book