Running Batch Reports in OLTP database

From: Richard Huntley <rhuntley_at_mindleaders.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 12:22:22 -0700

Currently, we have Java based reports running against an OLTP database. Connection pooling is being used via JDBC and threads are used to populate a data holding table (built on the fly since the reports are custom with different sorting options,different sections, etc)which is then used to generate reports from the live data (no snapshots being used so that reports are generated against old data and that's how we'd like to keep it, if possible). However, during the end of the month, running the batch reports against the database slows connection times. Resource Manager is being used to limit the % of CPU the Reporting jobs get, however, the web servers sometimes are unable to connect when many reports are being run all dumping data into the same table and then grabbing the data to generate reports. Would 8i's new temporary tables feature be more efficient or is there overhead with management of those types of objects?? I'm looking for suggestions from those of you experienced in having batch reports run against an OLTP database without bringing it to it's knees when a lot of reports are being run. Any suggestions you could offer would be appreciated.

TIA,
Richard Huntley

Author: Richard Huntley
  INET: rhuntley_at_mindleaders.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Jun 25 2001 - 14:22:22 CDT