RE: Disk configuration

From: Kevin Lange <kgel_at_ppoone.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 08:01:56 -0700

It all
depends on what kind of os/filesystem/and disks you have.   I know that under AIX, using SSA drives we could actually tell where on the disk we wanted the filesystem to go.  This way we could position certain things in the faster location.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
But
personally, I would not go thru the trouble.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
I have
never had a DB slowdown so far because of placement on the drive.   Admittadly, I have had probelms based on putting conflicting tables/indexes on the same drive .... you want to keep things that could be access simultaneously on  different media.  But other than that ....  no other conflicts.

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: KC   [mailto:kchan_at_speednet.com.au]Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 9:36   AMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: Disk   configuration
  Dear List,

  Someone told me when a disk receive
  a write request, it write to the nearest free space on disk where the disk   read/write head is currently positioning, is this information correct?? If   this is true, is this a bad thing for database application?? That mean we   can't really control where the file go, for performance purpose we may want to   put certain files on the outer tracks of a disk, if the write location is   depending on where the read/write head is, how can we avoid that, can we   create subdisks from the outer track of a disk and create a logical volume   from it??

  <FONT face=Arial color=#000000
size=2>KC Received on Tue Jun 19 2001 - 10:01:56 CDT