WAS: Re: OT - Wrap-up of 'Serious Question ' - now book idea - high

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 17:34:31 -0700

antonio.belloni_at_hstern.com.br wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> I have an idea for a book. I donīt know if it has been written before , but
> I think that it would be very useful to a lot of people.
>
> Oracle High Availability:
> - Recovery scenarios (The author could put scripts to backup archive logs ,
> tips about archiving , recovering , how Oracle process instance recovery ,
> case studies , etc...);
> - Stand-by Databases (concepts , implementations , pitfalls , etc...);
> - OPS (concepts , implementations , pitfalls , etc...);
> - Replication (as a tool to keep another database in sync with production
> databases);
> - Hardware concepts (redundancy , RAID controllers , clusters , SANs ,
> etc...);
> - Tips & Techniques for a 24 x 7 x 365 environment (administration , online
> backups , archiving , change manegement , etc...);
> - It could have a chapter with an overview or introduction about Oracle 9i
> Real Application Clusters.
>
> If is there a book similar , sorry about the waste of time , and , please ,
> could you give me the name of this book ??
>
> Regards,
> Antonio Belloni

Antonio,

A book covering some of this material already exists: Oracle 24x7 Tips & Techniques

http://www.osborne.com/oracle/index.html http://www.bookpool.com/.x/sshhpzr290/sm/0072119993

I'm not making a recommendation either way - I read the book some time ago, and thought it was good, but that was many books ago. My standards are likely to have risen - then again - I might get alot more out of it the second time thru.

Chapter 19 is available online at the osborne site - "Builing a Real-World Arsenal".

A book covering some of the Backup and Recovery material would be Oracle 8i Backup and Recovery Handbook - Velpuri - which has no less than 22 case studies listed.
(Just don't expect to get any good NT backup scripts there).

In general, your best bet is to stick to the papers published in this area - as you are much more likely to find individual topics discussed in a white paper format that are recent enough to be useful. So much high-avail material is platform-dependent - it would be difficult to assemble something across all platforms - and fit it into a single book.

Tim Gorman's paper on High-Avail -
http://www.evergreen-database.com/TD_HA.pdf

You ask about:
> - It could have a chapter with an overview or introduction about Oracle 9i
> Real Application Clusters.

I would suggest visiting the IOUG.org site. Here is one paper as an example - #114
"An Introductiono to High Availability Solutions" by Brian McGraw Okay - its only introductory - but you have to start somewhere.

(no surprise here) - I would also recommend searching Metalink http://metalink.oracle.com/
here are some examples from the Technical Library for high avail

Failover Issues and Limitations [Connect-time failover and TAF] 97926.1 8.0.x-8.1.x: Sample config for Transparent Application 69745.1 Dead Connection Detection Explained 2061476.6

Do you want someone to simply re-use the Oracle Documentation on the subject, or get advice from someone that has actually used the product? It seems to me that you won't see a book on such things until 12 months after it has been released - while you might see individual papers out much sooner. You'll just have to do a bit of searching on your own to find the info.

(no surprise here) - I would also recommend searching Technet there is a section called "Oracle Real Application Clusters" at http://otn.oracle.com/products/oracle9i/content.html

including:
Managing Oracle9i Real Application Clusters Building Highly Available Database Servers Using Oracle Real Application Clusters
Oracle9i Real Application Clusters, Cache Fusion Delivers Scalability

that would certainly be a start.

hth,

Paul

Author: Paul Drake