help on tuning ops 8 on aix while upgrading from oracle734

From: chao_ping <chao_ping_cn_at_yahoo.com.cn>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 00:18:48 -0700

hi,grurus:

    (sorry,the first letter can't be displayed for some misconfiguration).     i have been majoring in oracle for about one year and now i am faced with a big problem:

     The database server is going to upgrade from oracle734 to oracle8, and i am going to be reponsible for this smooth upgrade,to ensure our application runs better on oracle8,and if possible, to tune the database and our application.

    The app is a large OLTP system,and consists of five modules.Some proficient has tuned this database several monthes ago,and now he is majoring in system analyze,leaving this job to me.He is much better than me in Oracle ,So, to tuning the database,maybe i should major in OPS and Oracle8 New Features.

     and i have the following questions:
     1.Oracle Partition Option is new in oracle8,and what is the guideline in
implementing it in OLTP systems?How shall i make use of it to get good result?
     2.The contention between instances is some severe problem in OLTP systemSo, how
can i find which tables are pinged most frequently? To add more freelist and freelist groups(recreat the table), or some better ways?

     3.When i was reading concepts about reverse key index, it is said to be good choice in OPS systems.What is the guideline in using it in OPS system? is it suitable in most situations? (in most situations,our app select values based on equilant value)?

     4.I want to partition the tables and modules .The app is madeup of five modules.How shall i findout which application DML which table,how frequently,in which way? what is the best way to find this out? Use dbms_session package, or some better way?

     5.The disk raid uses RAID5 for all datafiles, redolog files,and controls. Shall i move the redo log into raid 0+1 system? Will this gain much profit?(or else the user will not agree.)

     6.It is said that CacheFusion in Oracle8i can greatly reduce the excessive ping's result.Shall i persuade the users to directly upgrade to oracle8i? or CacheFusion can also be used on Oracle8 OPS systems?

     any comment will be appreciated .
    thanks for all of your kind help.
chao_ping
chaoping_at_china.com

>Wz^r&9,Bm (ک&a!jb
>7!jb'ɨh&rqZ(׭ŠIǬ9tQ@_|9ӝRjpz
jXh'׫ZqǬXDCTLkaɚXXǧu1,jkr+rrׄ\ Received on Mon Jun 04 2001 - 02:18:48 CDT