Re: Connecting Oracle server from Forms 6.0

From: Oweson Flynn <Oweson.Flynn_at_liberty.co.za>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:24:36 +0200

Hi Fenal,

You might have multiple Oracle Home directories, and each may have it's own SQL*Net installation. Look for all the copies of tnsnames.ora on your machine, and ensure they are identical (and contain the SID for your server).

You could also open a DOS box and try 'tnsping <SID>' where <SID> is the instance name. If that works, it is probably multiple non-identical copies of your tnsnames.ora file.

If it doesn't, we'll need more information about your configuration: Client operating system an networking configuration; Your server operating system & network Config. Does the 8i client still work? Can you connect from other clients? can you 'ping' the server normally (if you're running TCP/IP)? How did you update the tnsnames.ora? Did you use an editor, or did you use Easy Config? If Easy Config, did you try testing the link? Can you connect using SQL*Plus? What version of SQL*Plus is it? (helps in establishing what version of SQL*Net is running). Do have SQL*Plus 3.3 and SQL*Plus 8.0?

Let me know if this helps.

Regards
Oweson Flynn

Certified Oracle DBA