RE: <defunct> process in AIX

From: Brian D. Silverio <bsilverio_at_necc.mass.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 11:07:45 -0500

A defunct or zombie process has already ended. There is no way to send it a signal to clean it up.

Signals (kill -9 included) are only acted on when a process either exits from executing its time slice or is about to get another CPU time slice. Since a zombie is no longer a candidate for execution it will never "see" the signal.

The problem is usually caused by a parent process that is not coded properly. Zombies are removed by a program executing the "wait" system routine. If the parent process has ended, then the children are inherited by init and cleaned up. This is called "reaping" and init is the grim reaper.

If the parent process has ended then it is a bug with the OS. AIX had this problem five years ago. Perhaps it was not fixed properly.

Brian