Oracle process on unix

From: Majid Kazemi <Mkazemi_at_teranet.on.ca>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 11:30:40 -0500

Happy New Year everyone:

I would like to understand the difference between NT and UNIX in terms of starting up the database. I know Oracle in NT has a service and instance. The service is the interface between the Oracle instance and the operating system. You need to startup the service before you start the instance. However, in UNIX there is no such service. My Question Is there a process which handling the communication between UNIX and Oracle. Your help will highly be appreciated.
Thanks;
Majid Kazemi Received on Wed Jan 03 2001 - 10:30:40 CST