RE: FreeOCP

From: Diana Duncan <Diana_at_fileFRENZY.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 16:44:49 -0500

I've been interviewing quite a few "Paper DBA's" recently -- it seems to be the fad here in Raleigh to take all of the classes and pass all of the tests, then try to find a job.

Not that this is a bad thing. I'm a big fan of hiring bright, motivated people. But in this particular case I need at least some experience. This is a production DBA position, on Unix, command line the main interface.

How are these for some basic questions for a production DBA?

"If a user calls you saying they can't get into the database, what do you check?"
"If the database crashes, where do you look first to see what the problem might be?"
"If someone calls, saying they're locked up, where do you find their session information? How do you kill that session?" "What do you do when you get an ORA-600 error?"

You wouldn't believe how many people don't know about "ps", the alert.log, v$session or metalink. I'll have to start asking about how to shutdown the database next. ;-)

So, anyway, it's not an exaggeration.

On the other hand, I think that OCP does help you figure out where you are weak. I started doing the Oracle7 tests a while ago, but now I'm on 8 and I guess I'll start up again. ;-)

Diana