Re: Partition Tables

From: Stephen Andert <StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 14:04:38 -0600

We have 8.1.6.0 with some pretty large tables. The application was = converted from using Ingres to use Oracle. So far mostly good things to = say about the process. However:

  1. There is a bug in analyze schema where if you try and ESTIMATE instead = of CALCULATE and it runs into a bug: PROBLEM: ORA-600 [25012][10][4] occurred when executing ANALYZE for a partitioned table with a local b-tree index with estimate statistics option. Not a fatal problem, it just means that our analyze process takes around 8 = hours (and climbing as we get more of the conversion done)=20 Also, this is reported by Oracle to be resolved in 8.1.6.3 whenever that = is released late this year.
  2. We also had another bug when joining two of our largest partitioned = tables the query would fail (I don't remember exactly how, I think it was = also an ORA-600). Our developers changed some code to omit using rowid and = were able to get the query running. This is also a documented bug for = which Oracle has a work-around involving a hint.

HTH, YMMV
Good Luck.

Stephen Andert

>>> Lee.Robertson_at_qspgms.com 08/25 5:16 AM >>>
All,

We have a legacy application running on Oracle 7.3 which we are migrating = to
Oracle 8.=20

We are looking at partitioning tables. Can anyone point me to any ptifalls/gotchas and any sort of problems that we may encounter. Will we have to make changes in our base code for example to access data in these partitions etc.

Regards

Lee

--=20
Author: Lee Robertson
  INET: Lee.Robertson_at_qspgms.com=20

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Sep 05 2000 - 15:04:38 CDT