Character set changes

From: Dave Morgan <dmorgan_at_bartertrust.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:54:06 -0700

Hi all,

	We have a new requirement to support Oracle LDAP server which
	requires the character set UTF8. Our current character set is
	US7ASCII.

	As described in the manual UTF8 is a superset of US7ASCII so I
	can do an ALTER DATABASE COMMAND to change the character set.
	(After backups and such). My question is since VARCHAR2s under
	UTF8 are sized by bytes what happens to existing tables columns.

	For example if I have a column
		DESCRIPTION VARCHAR2(2000);
	under US7ASCII how many characters will the the field hold
	under UTF8?

TIA
Dave

--