Re: logical differing from physical

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_bcbso.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 08:44:51 -0700 (PDT)

The DA may have generated the logical model, but the DBA may not agree with it for many reasons.

  1. Supertypes and Subtypes. There are no corresponding=20 phyical objects, and the DBA may wish to implement them differently than shown on the logical model.
  2. Partitions. No need for these to be on a logical model.
  3. Arcs. More than one way to implement them.
  4. Many to Many relationships. This only requires 2 tables to model, but at least 3 to implement. ( properly )

Many more I'm sure, but this illustrates the point.

Jared

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, james ellis wrote:

> Does anyone have any good reasons why a database's
> logical model would differ from the physical model?=20
> Haven't run across any good business reasons why this
> should/would happen.

>=20

> james
>=20

> Yahoo! Mail =96 Free email you can access from anywhere!
> http://mail.yahoo.com/
> --=20
> Author: james ellis
> INET: jellis24_gso_at_yahoo.com
>=20

>=20

Jared Still
Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;-) Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
jkstill_at_bcbso.com - Work - preferred address Received on Wed Aug 23 2000 - 10:44:51 CDT