Re: Alert log

From: <achoto_at_american.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 08:55:09 -0400

Thank you. I use tail -n alert<dbname>.log to look at the latest entries. But, I'd like to save our current log under a different name and start a new one.

I have one more question though: Is there a reason why errors related to rollback segments such as the 'snapshot too old' message don't get written to the alert log? I used to see this message when it happened, but about a month ago I don't see them anymore. And I know there were a few times in which a transaction aborted with this message, but it wasn't in the log.

Ana

                    "K
                    Gopalakrishna        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    n"                   cc:
                    <kaygopal_at_yah        Subject:     Re: Alert log
                    oo.com>
                    Sent by:
                    root_at_fatcity.
                    com

                    08/23/00
                    05:01 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    ORACLE-L

Hi !

Oracle will simply create a new file
and start writing in to it. But this is not the case with Trace files.

This can be done even when the DB is running. Alternatively you can use tail (-f) command to see the latest entries in the alert log if you are in Unix

Regards,
K Gopalakrishnan,
Bangalore, INDIA.

> If I rename the alert log, will Oracle create a new one if it doesn' find
> it? I think our alert log has grown too large.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ana E. Choto
> Systems Programmer
> American University