Re: unable to take rollback segment offline

From: Tammy Bednar <Tammy.Bednar_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 12:25:46 -0700

Ok, just one last comment...

If you comment out the rollback segment in the init.ora and bring up the database, it will NOT online it UNLESS there is an active transaction in the rollback segment and the database needs it as part of recovery.

Kirsten is correct, if it is taking a long time to offline a rollback segment, it has active transactions.

Tammy

"The opinions expressed here are my own and not Oracle Corporation"

"Weerd Kirsten, E.C. de" wrote:

> Taking a rollback segment offline can take quite a while ... Especially if
> it is heavily used.
>
> Though excluding it in the init.ora doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
> You can't take something offline when it hasn't been put online by Oracle at
> startup.
> But then again, excluding it in the init.ora AFTER the startup doesn't have
> any effect at all.
>
> Last remark : When a rollback segment has been put OFFLINE, the status
> simply reads OFFLINE. If not mistaking PENDING OFFLINE is only during the
> period Oracle is waiting for all current transactions in that rollback
> segment to complete.
>
> Hope this info helps.
>
> Greets,
>
> Kirsten

Tammy Bednar
Backup & Recovery Product Manager
Data Storage Technologies    phone:  650.506.4780
Server Technologies      fax:    509.461.4477