SQL*Loader and the truncate command

From: Carle, William T (Bill), NBSO <wcarle_at_att.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:59:07 -0500

Howdy,

    I just learned something that maybe the rest of you already know. But if not, I thought I'd share it with you. In the Utilities Manual, it says that if you use the TRUNCATE option in your SQL*Loader control file, it will use the SQL TRUNCATE command. Actually, that isn't entirely true. It works differently. The SQL TRUNCATE command, if executed within sqlplus, will clean up all the extents and you will have just the initial extent when done. However, SQL*Loader will not do that. If you had 200 extents before, you will still have 200 when the table has been loaded. I was expecting these to be cleaned up and they weren't. Just thought you might like to know.

Bill Carle
Database Management
816-995-3922
wcarle_at_att.com Received on Mon Aug 21 2000 - 14:59:07 CDT