Re: DISK configuration - help please.

From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <gajav_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:49:27 -0700 (PDT)

Lyall,

I am not sure what you are referring to when you say "that RAID 5 is real redundant and that it uses extra disks". I have a feeling that there may be some miscommunication here.

One can create a RAID 5 volume with a minimum of 3 disks. This is because RAID 3/5/7 all utilize "(n+1)" disks for a degree of stripe of "n". And you talk striping the lowest degree of striping is 2. The level of redundancy in a RAID 5 volume is a function of the I-O sub-system architecture and support for one more "hot spares" that take the place of "failed disks". In very crude terms "RAID 5 is a poor man's mirroring accmplished via parity on stripes which are distributed across the disks in the RAID 5 volume".

Here is an excerpt about RAID 5, from the paper I am presenting at Oracle OpenWorld 2000 - "Implementing RAID on Oracle Systems". The paper goes into much more detail, providing you with configuration details, but this should provide a "primer" to the topic.

RAID 5: This is by far one of the most common RAID implementations today. In this level of RAID, data redundancy is provided via parity calculations like in RAID 2, 3, 4, and 7, but the parity is stored along with the data. Hence, the parity is distributed across the number of drives configured in the volume. For many environments RAID 5 is very attractive, because it results in minimal loss of disk space to parity values, and it provide good performance on random read operations and light write operations.

RAID 5 caters better to Input Output Per Second (IOPS) with its support for concurrently servicing many I-O requests. This is because the spindles in a RAID 5 volume, work in an independent fashion, thus providing the capability to service more small random I-O requests. This is a significant difference when compared to RAID 3, where the spindles spin in a synchronous fashion, hence supporting better data-transfer rates. RAID 5 should not be implemented for write-intensive applications, since the continuous process of reading a stripe, calculating the new parity and writing the stripe back to disk (with the new parity), will make writes significantly slower.

An exception to this rule that requires consideration is when the I-O sub-system has significant amounts of “write cache” and the additional overhead imposed by the Error Correction Control (ECC) algorithms is measured and confirmed by analysis to be minimal. The definition of “significant” is left to the discretion of the reader, but in general a write cache sized in many gigabytes can be considered significant.

On many systems, however, the performance penalty for write operations can be expensive even with a “significant write cache” depending on the number of writes and the size of each write. RAID 5 is best suited to read-only applications. Like RAID 3, it is best suited for data mart/data warehouse applications, but it can support many application users performing random I-O instead of bulk sequential I-O.

Hope that helps,

Gaja

Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha
Director, Storage Management Products
Quest Software Inc. Received on Fri Aug 18 2000 - 11:49:27 CDT