Re[2]: Nice to see a Prod Manager from Oracle Corp on this l

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:53:52 -0400

Wait one minute here guys/gals. The Oracle RDBMS is one heck of a complicated system. Consequently I have no doubts about the size of the source code and each of us customizing it would only complicate matters to the Nth degree. PostGres is a public domain dbms and by GNU's license your prohibited from modifying then code. On the other hand Oracle is NOT public domain and therefore we expect them to support what they ship, which means we have to keep our hands off of the kernel.

On the subject of Bloatware, I have to take a que from Bill Gates and Word. What is bloat ware to you and me is not to someone else. Sure I hate Word & don't use one third of it's capabilities, but don't say that to my daughter who has turned into a Word GURU. The things she can make it do I which I could half understand. Consequently, yes Oracle has features & functions that only some of us use, but I would not want to part with any of them. Also, take a look at what your doing when you install. I know many of us just use the default install option. That has caused me to burn more disk space than I care to think about. I've switched to always using the custom install option & picking & choosing the options I really need. I also would not like to see Oracle change their distribution policies either. We've licensed more options after playing around with them than the local sales rep would like to remember. His pitch has been bad, but the software was GOOD!!!

Dick Goulet

Subject: Re: Nice to see a Prod Manager from Oracle Corp on this list Author: "Rajiv Gangadharan" <Rajiv.Gangadharan_at_alltel.com> Date: 8/15/00 11:24 PM

I think even if we are asked to pay for it.. They could give away the source code with it..
I think the 150+ MB of product size is significantly due to code bloat and significant redundancy..
( and there universal concensus on that). The entire gzip file of postgres anathor ORDBMS is only 7.5 MB.. Remember...
Why cant we customize the oracle code for our own purposes. I think if netscape can do it.. Oracle too can.. Rajiv

To: ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com AT INTERNET_at_CCMAIL cc: (bcc: Rajiv Gangadharan/IN/ALLTELCORP)

John,

I think there would be almost universal concensus in the user community that if Oracle would give their products away free, people would be willing to stop criticising Oracle corp. :)

ep

On 13 Aug 2000, at 19:15, john.j.kanagaraj_at_shell.com.bn scribbled with alacrity
and cogency:

Date sent:           Sun, 13 Aug 2000 19:15:07 -0800
To:                  Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>