RE: Oracle Parallel Server Experience and information....

From: Dave Morgan <dmorgan_at_bartertrust.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 07:53:31 -0700

Hi Greg,

        Make sure you have someone who has run OPS before.

	There are two ways to run OPS, multiple nodes available at
	all times or one node available with the other as a failover.
	Multiple nodes available requires a lot of monitoring, knowledge
	and experience.

	OPS requires raw devices, means you need experience managing these, backups
	and such change.

	I was a very experienced 24x7 standalone DBA when I joined Bartertrust and I
	got 1 month training from 2 very experienced OPS people. Within 10 days I had
	memory problems on production(actually caused by a buggy application server but ...).
	Within 2 months I fried 2 development instances and sent a 2 node RS6000 back to
	the sysadmins to be reconfigured top to bottom. A one block mistake with dd messed
	up an entire 16 disk SSA.

	Management of locks is very important.

	DDL definitions change, multiple freelists and freelist groups are a necessity.

	Make sure you have someone who has run OPS before.

HTH
Dave

--
Dave Morgan