rman backup to tape opinion please

From: ramon de los reyes <amity308_at_bcd.weblinq.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 17:44:31 +0800

good day all,

We have an rs6000 box. I am planning to backup up to tape using rmans incremental backup.

Clarification

  1. Incremental level 0 backup every Sunday.
  2. Incremental level 2 backup every Wednesday and Friday.

I need one tape for level 0 and two tapes for level 2 backup (one for wed and one for fri).

My tape capacity is 9 GB. My database is around 500 MB.

Question :

  1. Is it advisable to append the file for the next backup to tape or overwrite the tape every time backup is done.

If append I might need only one tape for the whole week else I will need 3 tapes.

Correction, suggestion most welcome.

Thank you all. Received on Wed Aug 02 2000 - 04:44:31 CDT