Block size or replication?

From: Smith, Ron L. <rlsmith_at_kmg.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 08:45:52 -0500

We have an OLTP system that has frequent long running Crystal Reports reports that affect the overall online performance. We are looking at ways to improve response time. This is a purchased app and we do not modify code. We are looking at doing replication to offload some of the processing. But I am wondering if increasing the blocksize would be a better solution. The ad-hoc reports often do full table scans, as do the OLTP programs. This is even though there are indexes available. Remember we don't change code. The current block size is 4096. I would like to change it to 8192. I am thinking this would cut full table scan i/o in half and speed up processing. Any ideas?

Ron Smith
Database Administration
rlsmith_at_kmg.com Received on Tue Jun 20 2000 - 08:45:52 CDT