Column position

From: Witold Iwaniec <wiwaniec_at_novalistech.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:20:04 -0300

Hi all

I have a table defined as:

my_table:

prt_name VARCHAR2(10) NOT NULL,
imp_date DATE NOT NULL,
atr_type CHAR(5) NOT NULL,
atr_data VARCHAR2(512)

There are millions of records in this table I would like to add another column:
exp_id VARCHAR2(10)

I can do it using the ALTER TABLE command and the column will end up as the last in the table or I can recreate the table, putting the column in different position, and reload the data. The column like atr_data is VARCHAR2 and can contain nulls. The table is just an example, I have number of tables to which I need to add another column.

Would there be a performance difference depending on the column position? Received on Tue Jun 20 2000 - 11:20:04 CDT