RE: Locally Managed Tablespace Survey

From: Gait, Christopher <cgait_at_condor.nrl.navy.mil>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 11:35:05 -0400

Sorry not to give specific answers to all your survey questions, but here is all we are doing with LMTs now:

I have a locally managed temporary tablespace on one non-production instance. I am planning to use a LMT for a production temporary space in the near future. I don't think locally managed tablespaces are ready for primetime. There are enough things one has to check on a production database without doing periodic checks to make sure you don't have corrupt LMTs. Temporary tablespaces, on the other hand, are constantly allocating and deallocating space, and thus gain performance from LMTs, and can easily be blown away and recreated in case of trouble.

Chris Gait
Oracle DBA
Arlington, VA

Author: Jonathan Gennick