Re: adding a check condition

From: Vadim Gorbunov <dim_at_protek.ru>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:40:37 +0400

--------------E9FAB45AAE346A4154F97448

Hi, Rachel

Rachel Carmichael wrote:

> Is there some new syntax that I don't know of that does a table-level check
> constraint?

I mean something like that

 create table t1(
 s1 varchar(10),
 s2 varchar(10),
 constraint c check (s1 <> ' ' and s2 <> ' '));

    The reason table vs column, of course, is to have as little dictionary entries as possible. I think all this consideration makes the sense ONLY when the table is iserted-updated very frequently - i.e. appropriate part of dictionary is effectively cached. PL/SQL will not beat constraint when the case.
Listers, one more idea - why not NOT NULL (BTW - constraint too). It works with '' but not with ' '.

    With regards,
    Vadim

> a single PL/SQL program, even if it has to be parsed, will be faster than
> reading the data dictionary for the constraint on every column. Check
> constraints have their functions, and I have used them. But NOT to see if
> all columns have blanks in them.
>
> Rachel
>
> >From: Vadim Gorbunov <dim_at_protek.ru>
> >To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> >Subject: Re: adding a check condition
> >Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 04:57:04 -0800
> >

> >Rachel Carmichael wrote:
> >
> > > yes it adds to the overhead! and it will affect performance on every
> >insert
> > > and update. Oracle has to get the check condition from the data
> >dictionary.
> > >
> > > since you want this check on EVERY column, it might be faster to do it
> >all
> > > at once in a before-insert/before-update trigger.
> > >

> >Hi, all
> >I think, trigger is slower and more expensive than check constraint(s)
> >because
> >of PL/SQL engine is not as much efficient as Oracle core functions. One
> >table
> >level check constraint would be the most effective solution.
> >
> >Vadim Gorbunov
> >Oracle DBA
> >

> > > Rachel

> >column..