alter database close

From: NARAYANAN J <j.narayanan_at_tatainfotech.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 10:52:00 +0530 (IST)

hi,

i wanted my database which is open to bring to the mount stage. I know u can do this using the shutdown and then startup mount but is this the only way?

i tried to close the database using
alter database close;

But, i am getting the ora-1093 error:

SVRMGR> alter database close;
alter database close
*
ORA-01093: ALTER DATABASE CLOSE only permitted with no sessions connected

I queried the v$session and got the following:

SVRMGR> select username,process,status,program from v$session;

USERNAME                       PROCESS   STATUS   PROGRAM

------------------------------ --------- --------
--------------------------
----------------------------------
                               00109     ACTIVE   ORACLE80.EXE

                               000AB     ACTIVE   ORACLE80.EXE

                               000F7     ACTIVE   ORACLE80.EXE

                               000C6     ACTIVE   ORACLE80.EXE

                               000F2     ACTIVE   ORACLE80.EXE

                               00103     ACTIVE   ORACLE80.EXE

                               00102     ACTIVE   ORACLE80.EXE

                               000FF     ACTIVE   ORACLE80.EXE

SYS                            261:268   ACTIVE   svrmgr30

9 rows selected.

I don't have any other sessions connected to the database.

I presume that all the sessions listed above are oracle background processes

any help?

This is oracle 8.0.4 on windows nt. Received on Fri Jun 09 2000 - 00:22:00 CDT