Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Avoiding Gaps in Sequence Number Inputs
Avoiding Gaps in Sequence Number Inputs [message #131141] Thu, 04 August 2005 10:34 Go to next message
sgirl
Hi!

I am newbie to coding in Oracle forms. I am developing multi application. Some blocks contain an id item that should be populated into the DB table by a previously defined sequence. I have set the Initial Value property of this item as

:SEQUENCE.my_sequence_name.NEXTVAL.

This helps in generating the sequence number, but it is introducing gaps in the that particular column values, as the sequence.nextval gets incremented each time a next button is pressed and irrespective of whether that record is committed or not.

How do I use the Oracle sequences in FORMS so that I do not have any gaps in my column values? It is important in my business process that I do not have gaps.

I tried searching on google and this forum for this issue, but no go!!

I will greatly appreciate your expert advice!

Thanks,

SGirl
Re: Avoiding Gaps in Sequence Number Inputs [message #131193 is a reply to message #131141] Thu, 04 August 2005 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hamdard
Hi,
Sequence number should be inserted when we want to create a new record. Even this way we'r not sure that we'll not have the gaps in the generated numbers. I have one thing in my mind if you can try it.
Create a table in which you can store that sequence number which the user is wasting.
CREATE TABLE waisted_seq_numbers
(seq_no_waisted NUMBER);

Then while inserting the record insert the sequence number in your forms field and also insert this number in the waisted_seq_numbers table as well. Then if the user saves the record, delete the sequence number in the waisted_seq_numbers table otherwise if the user does not save that record for which the sequence number has been generated then save that number in the waisted_seq_numbers table. Next time befor generating the sequence number, check if seq_no_waisted exists in the table or not. If it exists populate that number in your form's field instead of generating new sequence number. If that table is empty, then only generate a new sequence number.
Give it a try and I hope it should work.

Regards.
Re: Avoiding Gaps in Sequence Number Inputs [message #131210 is a reply to message #131193] Thu, 04 August 2005 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
There two other alternatives (always more alternatives).

Populate your sequence field in a trigger in the database.
IF :new.seq is null then
  :new.seq := :SEQUENCE.my_sequence_name.NEXTVAL;
end if;

OR use the Oracle Designer alternate of
IF :new.seq is null then
  select max(seq)+1
    into :new.seq
    from my_table; 
end if;

Hope these help.

David
Re: Avoiding Gaps in Sequence Number Inputs [message #131336 is a reply to message #131193] Fri, 05 August 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sgirl
Hi Hamdard,

Just saw the solution that u sent. It does look like workable solution. Will try it and keep u posted on how that went.

Thanks for your time!

Suma
Re: Avoiding Gaps in Sequence Number Inputs [message #131338 is a reply to message #131210] Fri, 05 August 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sgirl
Hi David,

Thank you for the propmt reply. Will try this out too and see how this works..

I appreciate your help.

Sgirl
Re: Avoiding Gaps in Sequence Number Inputs [message #131682 is a reply to message #131338] Tue, 09 August 2005 00:04 Go to previous message
tarek200_jo
you can use the following code:
select nvl(max(column_name),0)+1 from table _name;
this sql will return the maximum number plus ONE.
Previous Topic: Accessing Oracle from Mainframes
Next Topic: Unable to connect to Oracle database from d2k - Oracle Homes present in system registry
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 12:11:39 CDT 2024