Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » On online Commit in forms
On online Commit in forms [message #131140] Thu, 04 August 2005 10:27 Go to next message
sgirl
Hi!

I am a newbie in forms and currently developing application on forms 10g.

I am trying to build a library sort of application which tracks the software copies checked out and returned.

I have a block where user can either check out or return software copies. This contains an LOV item that currently lists the available copies that can be checked out.(The values to this LOV (copyid actually) is coming from a select statement that selects all items in the Copies table that are not in the checked out items table). As user checks a copy from the LOV and inserts the record using the built in insert (+) button on the forms tool bar.

When one attempts to checkout another item immediatly after that my LOV is not updated i.e it still displays the copyid of the item that was checked out recently. This makes sense as the record is not saved yet but just marked for insert by the FORMs. How do I ensure that my LOV alwys displays the appropriate and valid copyids?I can not use commit_form bulit in in the ON_INSERT trigger for that block as its restricted.

I understand that this is a very a basic concept,and I am sure I am missing something as I am new to coding in forms. Any help from u experts will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks and Regards
Suma
Re: On online Commit in forms [message #131194 is a reply to message #131140] Thu, 04 August 2005 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hamdard
check the POST built in. It doesn't commit the data but you can SELECT the data inserted in the database after posting it.
Hope that this will help.
Regards.
Re: On online Commit in forms [message #131211 is a reply to message #131140] Thu, 04 August 2005 18:52 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
IMHO ON-INSERT (transaction type) triggers should only be used in very rare and interesting situations. A standard form does not need to have its insert, update, or delete logic modified.

<Open question> "What does the user do to make the form think that they have finished checking out the book?"

I assume they press a 'Finish' or 'Save' button. Put the 'POST' in this trigger, not in the 'When-Validate' or 'On-' triggers. make sure your LOV has 'automatic refresh' (its a form builder definition property).

David
Previous Topic: Pasta via XML Publisher....
Next Topic: Ora 03113
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 12:07:28 CDT 2024