Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Upgrade Forms 4.5 to 6i
Upgrade Forms 4.5 to 6i [message #128618] Tue, 19 July 2005 17:32 Go to next message
vsharmac
Hi all

I have recently upgraded the Forms 4.5 to Forms 6i. In Forms 4.5, for a text item if the property Multi-Line is true and while it is in query mode pressing the carriage return key while the input focus is in a multi-line text item starts a new line in the item.

But in Forms 6i pressing Tab key takes the focus to the next item. I think in Forms 6i the Multi-Line Property should behave same as the Forms 4.5. I have tried to Set Property and also installed patches but it didn't works.

Hope you understand my problem.
Will appreciate help on this.

Thanks
Vsharmac
Re: Upgrade Forms 4.5 to 6i [message #128622 is a reply to message #128618] Tue, 19 July 2005 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Please reread your posting, I can't see your problem, "carriage return" gives "carriage return", "tab" gives "tab", in both 4.5 and 6.

David

PS. When do you need to have a "carriage return" in query mode? That is, for what purpose do you enter a "carriage return" when in query mode? To search for "carriage return"?
Re: Upgrade Forms 4.5 to 6i [message #128626 is a reply to message #128622] Tue, 19 July 2005 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsharmac
Hi

Hope this makes sense.

When I query the form, values are displayed in the respective fields.

If the Text item Multi-line property is set to false then as you press the Tab key on the keyboard, it highlights the first text item then the second and so on. But if this Property is set to true then pressing the Tab key takes the cursor in front of the value in the multi-line text item field-ready for editing. This is how it works in Forms 4.5.

Just recently I have upgraded to 6i. In this version pressing Tab key also highlights the multi-line text item field. I want this field to behave same as it was in 4.5. In other words instead of highlighting the values in the multi-line text items field it should take the cursor in front of the displayed value.

Hope you understand problem this time. I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Vikash
Re: Upgrade Forms 4.5 to 6i [message #128628 is a reply to message #128626] Tue, 19 July 2005 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Ah yea, I remember this one. Actually the problem is with 4.5, in that the text should have been high-lighted, but wasn't.

What we need to do is when you go to the multi-line item you either go to the field after it and then come back, or go to the field then return to the first field and then go to it again. You can see this behaviour in the form now, by tabbing through the field and shft-tabbing back.

I will update this posting later with the actual trigger names, maybe.

David

Okay, I did a ring around and there are a few ideas, try them and see what happens.

1) In the When-New-Item-Instance have the single command 'enter'.
2) Don't navigate to the field with a go_item. Make the user go there using 'tab' or 'enter' (that is, let forms use default navigation don't use go_item).
3) Alternatively, USE a go_item. What you do is navigate to a button and when the user presses the button you pop up the item in the edit window. The behaviour is different in the edit window.
4) Verify that 'tab' and 'enter' are giving you the same behaviour when there is only default navigation behaviour.

Sorry I can't be more specific but the work was done quite some time ago.

[Updated on: Tue, 19 July 2005 21:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upgrade Forms 4.5 to 6i [message #128835 is a reply to message #128628] Wed, 20 July 2005 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsharmac
Hi David,

Iam a bit confused with your suggestion. You are suggesting that this might fix the problem in 6i where i need the cursor to be in the left corner of text item field without highlighting it,right.

Regards,
Vikash
Re: Upgrade Forms 4.5 to 6i [message #128837 is a reply to message #128835] Wed, 20 July 2005 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Correct, first time in you get all the data high-lighted, second time in you don't. Try each of the suggestions, in order. You may have to use a combination of solutions, but I don't think so.

David
Re: Upgrade Forms 4.5 to 6i [message #128843 is a reply to message #128837] Wed, 20 July 2005 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsharmac
Hi,

I think there is a way of setting the property using codes. If i want to set the property of Multi-Line in the text item to true, how would i go about it i.e which trigger will i use and what code.

Regards,
Vikash
Re: Upgrade Forms 4.5 to 6i [message #128845 is a reply to message #128843] Wed, 20 July 2005 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Vikash,

I have the feeling that you are likely to make the same mistake that many others in this forum have made. Please 'think triggers' last.

If you want an item to be multi-line, then define it that way in the Property Pallette for that item, not through a trigger.

Only use triggers when the behaviour obtained through the default functionality is not that which you want, and what you want is reasonable.

David
Re: Upgrade Forms 4.5 to 6i [message #128850 is a reply to message #128845] Wed, 20 July 2005 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsharmac
Hi David,

You might be right as you have a lot of experience in this field, sir.

But would you mind telling me is there any way of setting the multi-line property through triggers. If yes, which trigger and what code? Just wanna know...

Thanks
Vikash
Re: Upgrade Forms 4.5 to 6i [message #128858 is a reply to message #128850] Wed, 20 July 2005 23:51 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Guess what! The documentation 6i and 9i both say 'multi-line' is applicable to get_item_property and not set_item_property. So by the looks of things you can't do it 'on the fly'.

David
Previous Topic: Checking query posted to server for record fetch
Next Topic: calendar not displaying
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 11:54:17 CDT 2024