Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » 10gR2 -> 19c (10gR2 W2K3 19c OL8)
10gR2 -> 19c [message #686017] Tue, 24 May 2022 13:58 Go to next message
bwdavis59
Hi,

First post. I'm the de facto dba of an Oracle 10gR2 database.
I've managed to install, and create an instance and database from the same scripts used to create the original database on my Oracle Linux 8.5 server.
I can start and stop the instance, select name from v$database, etc, and it all looks right.
I have moved a backupset to the local filesystem and pointed the db_recovery_file_dest to it.
I can run RMAN and SQLPLUS locally with no issues and connect to the database I created.

Following what works from experience, I run rman and then to restore the backup:

set DBID = 1387211105;
RUN
{
startup nomount pfile '/u01/app/oracle/.../initDB.ora';
restore controlfile from autobackup;
mount database;
restore database;
alter database open resetlogs;
}
exit

RMAN searches the recovery file destination dutifully looking for an AUTOBACKUP under the right SID name, and finds nothing.
I read that cross platform RMAN restores to newer versions did not work. Is this an example of that? Am I just stuck with a windows server?

Thanks in advance for taking the time.

Re: 10gR2 -> 19c [message #686018 is a reply to message #686017] Tue, 24 May 2022 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Your post caught me just as I was going off shift Smile

"de facto dba" or not, you have to read the docs. They are absolutely clear: you cannot do an upgrade from 10.2 to 19.x, you have to go via an intermediate release. The doc you need to start from (there are others you will need...) is this one,
https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/19/upgrd/index.html

And, to do the moderator bit:

Welcome to the forum.
Please read the OraFAQ Forum Guide and How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read.
Re: 10gR2 -> 19c [message #686019 is a reply to message #686018] Tue, 24 May 2022 15:39 Go to previous message
bwdavis59
Hi John

Thank you for your reply. To know it is not possible is a relief. I will read the upgrade document you indicated and move forward from there.

Kind Regards,

Bruce
Previous Topic: importing last 3 months of data
Next Topic: cannot export dmp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:20:09 CDT 2024